Saturday, December 02, 2006

POST #5 PHOTO BLOGS

About 10 years ago, I became interested in art classes. Thinking that I had neither the time or the talent for drawing or painting, I took a photography class. I enjoyed walking around the city with my camera captuing images. I then took them to the darkroom for development and (later) to share with family and fellow students. I used a SLR camera and black and white film.

Then came digital photography and I RESENTED IT. I had no love for this new way of photography and I thought it was a degredation of my beloved art form. Photography was film. Black and white film was the purest of the art form. Life as i knew it was ending. What was next ... the end of days?? Stagnation in terms of my own work set in.

Fast forward to Amy 2.0 . In my new reincarnation as a MLIS student, I am looking at photography differently. Not only can digital cameras take photos but those photos can be shared quickly and to many more people. I have an outlet for my artwork at http://www.flickr.com . I have renewed interest in photography.

What does this have to do with libraries? Well, I can tell you what it has to do with information sharing and communities - which is what the library's all about. On fliker a group of like- minded folks can post pictures and can tag them so that they are available to others who may be interested. You can share your art, your experiences, and so forth. This is better than laboring in a darkroom. It is the polar opposite.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Hey Amy,
Now I'm curious about your flickr photos. Can you provide a link?
Kim

9:41 AM

 
Blogger Jessi said...

I think that in the right hands, digital photos can be very artistic. But I understand your pre-Amy 2.0 resentment.

11:39 AM

 
Blogger Nick said...

I like how you've related the recent digital photography transition to a newer form of information sharing, and I like what you say about sharing "your art, your experiences, and so forth."

3:26 PM

 
Blogger Ayisha said...

Nice and knowledgeable gifts for everyone-
booksshelf
knowledge
books
liberary
kitaben
Books and references
books

6:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home